Charleston County and the city of Charleston, its county seat, are the most historic locations in the state. English settlers arrived in the colony of Carolina in 1670 and established a town at Albemarle Point on the west bank of the Ashley River. The settlement, named Charles Town in honor of King Charles II of England, was subsequently moved a few miles away to a peninsula between the Ashley and Cooper rivers. Charles Town (renamed Charleston in 1783) was the political, social, and economic center of South Carolina throughout the colonial and ante-bellum periods, and it served as the state capital until 1790.
The Miles Brewton House may seem, at first glance, one of many impressively grand and antique southern mansions that line the downtown streets of Charleston, but this home is a favorite among any guided or self-led walking tour for both its story and its local prestige. Considered one of the finest national examples of a "double house" or "town home" of the Colonial Era, the massive brick house with dual levels of white pillars has been the temporary home for some of Charleston's most famous, but undesired residents.