Charleston County and the city of Charleston, its county seat, are the most historic locations in the state. English settlers arrived in the colony of Carolina in 1670 and established a town at Albemarle Point on the west bank of the Ashley River. The settlement, named Charles Town in honor of King Charles II of England, was subsequently moved a few miles away to a peninsula between the Ashley and Cooper rivers. Charles Town (renamed Charleston in 1783) was the political, social, and economic center of South Carolina throughout the colonial and ante-bellum periods, and it served as the state capital until 1790.
Located at the edge of the Ashley River, next to the Joseph P. Riley, Jr. minor league baseball stadium, Brittlebank Park is a refreshing breath of fresh air that serves up some of the best water views in the region, while serving as an occasional venue for some of Charleston's most beloved events.