Charleston County and the city of Charleston, its county seat, are the most historic locations in the state. English settlers arrived in the colony of Carolina in 1670 and established a town at Albemarle Point on the west bank of the Ashley River. The settlement, named Charles Town in honor of King Charles II of England, was subsequently moved a few miles away to a peninsula between the Ashley and Cooper rivers. Charles Town (renamed Charleston in 1783) was the political, social, and economic center of South Carolina throughout the colonial and ante-bellum periods, and it served as the state capital until 1790.
The Charleston City Marina is often deemed the "Mega Marina," as it is easily one of the largest marinas in the southeastern United States. Conveniently located at mile marker 469.5 along the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW), and just a stone's throw away from the historic downtown, the marina is one of the most visited spots and temporary homes for mariners from all across the country. Accommodating for both travelers by land and by sea, with a host of amenities and incredible views of the harbor and the Ashley River, the expansively grand marina is sure to make any visitor yearn for an evening or afternoon on the water, and an adventure on the high seas.