- As low as $1,163/Night
- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- Sleeps 9
- 1 bedroom
- Air conditioning
- Barbecue grill
- Bathtub or shower
- Bed sheets provided
- Car recommended
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Coffee/tea maker
- Day bed
- Deadbolt lock
- Dining room
- Ecotours nearby
- Fire extinguisher
- Fishing nearby
- Fitness facilities nearby
- Hair dryer
- Horse riding nearby
- In the city center
- Iron/ironing board
- Living room
- Near a health or beauty spa
- Near a hospital
- Near a zoo
- Near laundromat
- Near outlet shopping
- Near the bay
- No pets allowed
- On the river
- Onsite parking
- Rafting nearby
- Sailing nearby
- Smoke detector
- Smoke-free property
- Surfing/body boarding nearby
- Swimming nearby
- Towels provided
- TV with cable/satellite service
- Unit size: 3505 sq ft (326 sq m)
- Washing machine and dryer
- Water skiing nearby
- WiFi available
- Wildlife and game walks nearby
About this Property
- Sleeps 9
- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- Private vacation home
- Approximately 3505 square feet
Before requesting to book, please know we need to know your plans—your needs and your plans. We want the home to be right for you and we need to know you are a good fit. We have a 24 hour review for this reason. Until we have this information we will decline a booking.
This is a marvelous and unique opportunity to appreciate being able to experience Charleston more as a resident than a tourist. We are in a peaceful neighborhood and don't allow any events out of respect for our neighbors. (We do have other properties that are suitable for wedding groups and modest events. The vrbo numbers will be listed at the end). You will savor the gorgeous piazza overlooking the garden and the Ashley River and the handsome interior spaces.
This is an authentic Charleston 'single-home' (c 1795) which means a Charleston home that is a single room in depth, designed to catch the ocean breezes. The builders of this property were in the shipping business and a wharf was constructed into the river to accommodate the owner's ships. Property taxes at that time were based on a front footage assessment and the typical single home was placed so that the narrow side of the home would be on the street side. This property was an exception in that the long side of the home faces South Battery which made it even more accessible to the prevailing summer southwest breezes. The two piazzas on the south side provide a dual purpose: to provide a comfortable place to enjoy the afternoon breeze and sunsets and to provide shade for the home itself from the afternoon sun.
On the MAIN FLOORING is an elegant dining room with gorgeous hand made mahogany table, sideboard, and hunt-board. Just across the central hall is a less formal living room. It is furnished with comfortable upholstered couch and chairs and accented with fine antiques including a mahogany chest, fold top desk, French farm table with 6 chairs and a impressive highboy. The new kitchen with granite counters, pretty light filled windows on three sides, all new appliances and amenities is accessed through two nine foot entrances from the living room. All of these rooms open onto the main floor piazza and offer incredible opportunities for family fun and entertaining. A gracious central stairway leads from the piazza to the sizable and delightful Charleston garden.
The SECOND floor homes the two main bedrooms, baths and closets. The two enormous bedrooms with four poster mahogany King Bed in Master and Queen in Guest Room and adjoining bathrooms open onto the upper piazza overlooking the garden and Charleston Harbor.
The THIRD floor consists of two huge dormer bedrooms with amazing windows on the north and south sides. Between these rooms is a bath with a shower. All have windows providing a spectacular expansive roof top view of the landscape below.
The GARDEN is cavernous and impressive. The areas adjoining the home are terraced in old Charleston bricks and provide astounding area for containers of flowering plants. The planting in the main garden is a balanced mixture of evergreens which provide shape, texture, and definition on a year round basis, and flowering shrubs and plants which provide a bouquet of color and scent as the seasons evolve. In the center of the front garden is a shallow reflecting pool with an Italian fountain. The fountain is automatically lighted at nighttime and bathes the whole area with the ambiance of warm light and gurgling sounds. It is completely private from the street and completely enclosed and offers magnificent opportunities for entertaining or for kids playing.
Very near prominent streets such as Church, Meeting, King and Legare Streets all are within very short walking distances to the property. White Point Gardens and the Harbor are within walking distance of the home. The home is in painless walking distance to the historic home museums, antique stores, art galleries, stores and famed eateries.
We also advise during the month of September particularly, and some into October that you purchase the trip protection insurance because that is the peak hurricane season in our area. The optional trip insurance offered through Vacation Rental By Owner would cover any weather related cancellation. We do not offer refunds or date changes due to weather outside the 60 day cancellation period. Please ask Jamie if you have any questions at all.
WEDDING GROUP/FAMILY REUNION/CORPORATE RETREAT OPTIONS:
Our other properties are at St Philip Square and offer many flexible options. The vrbo numbers are:
7841346. 7841344. 1662029. 1351757
834186. 567555. 1446527. 1531369
And for an out of town treat look at vrbo #340070
About the Area
This vacation home is located in Charleston Historic District, a neighborhood in Charleston, and is near theme parks and on a river. Gibbes Museum of Art and Dock Street Theater are cultural highlights, and some of the area's activities can be experienced at Port of Charleston Cruise Terminal and Harborage at Ashley Marina. Charleston Museum and South Carolina Aquarium are also worth visiting. Be sure to check out the area's animals with activities such as game walks and birdwatching.
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy
Know Before you Go
A car is recommended for transportation to and from this property
- Pets not allowed
Getting the best Charleston vacation property experience:
Getting the most from your spending budget:
- Summertime is high season in Charleston. To find the best value, shift your group's trip dates to the Spring or Fall shoulder seasons. May, September, and October offer great weather, fewer crowds, and reduced traffic. Many vacationers use this strategy to find larger homes within budget, or to book an oceanfront vacation rental that would otherwise be unavailable during the high season.
- Book your rental as soon as possible. Rental schedules usually open twelve months in advance (or in September just after Summer ends). Many families book their Summer vacation rentals during Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings. Reserve before these holidays for best selection.
- Active Duty and veterans of the US Armed forces may qualify for special discounts. Be sure to ask your prospective vacation rental company or host whether your family qualifies for a price reduction.
- Management companies and individual rental owners often offer renters an option to obtain trip insurance. Trip insurance, which costs anywhere between 1% - 5% of the base stay price, offers visitors reimbursement of costs for missed time as a result of medical-related catastrophes or weather, as well as evacuation costs or charges, such as an unanticipated hotel or additional gas expenses. Trip insurance can be a a life-saver if the unforeseen occurs. Ask your property manager for additional information.
- Find a copy of your local Charleston area visitors guide when you arrive at the rental property. If your rental doesn't have a copy, you can find them at local grocery stores and visitor centers. In addition to great local information, visitors guides contain coupons for local accommodations and attractions.
Selecting and booking the perfectrental home:
- Begin by choosing potential vacation weeks and a budget.
- Decide how many beds and what type of bedroom configuration your group requires. Grand historic home, spacious, downtown, piazza and garden (Lic.#OP2018-00320) has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. If you need a larger or smaller rental, use our Charleston area rental home search.
- Precise descriptions of bedrooms and bed counts & types is usually accessible on booking pages. Otherwise, email the property management company before reserving your rental. Note that most properties list the maximum guest capacity, which typically includes sofa beds.
- If there's a certain Charleston area beach you are enamored with, browse homes that are either near by, or those that cater to your needs.
- Suitable accessibility amenities can make or ruin a vacation for guests that require the use of a wheelchair. Remember to confirm all necessary amenities are available and included before booking
- Some rentals allow pets, but some do not. Acceptable types of dog or cat, weight and breeds may be restricted, and added costs may apply. Ask the property management company about pets before booking.
Know before you go:
- Add the owner's information to your phone. Print and take a copy of arrival/departure procedures.
- Document any issues with the rental upon arrival, and immediately e-mail them to the host. We especially recommend texts and e-mails, as they usually contain built-in time stamps that are helpful if there is a dispute.
- Hosts are great sources of help! Don't be shy to ask questions during your stay.
- Be a good neighbor! You wouldn't like disrespectful visitors disrupting your life at home. Apply the golden rule for best judgement. If they like you, locals might even recommend great restaurants and attractions you would have never otherwise known!
- Don't forget to... Ask a local! Residents can frequently help you find the best spots in town. Who better to ask where to go for the best drinks, have a great night on the town, or the best spots for shopping?
- Keep your rental home locked while you're gone! Don't let thieves ruin your family vacation.
- Just prior to departing, complete a final walk-through to confirm you haven't forget anything. Check dressers, closets, and bathrooms for hidden belongings. Remove everything from the refrigerator and take or dispose of leftovers.
- Inspect the property one final time and look for any damage. We suggest inspecting the property with the property manager whenever you can. If the manager isn't available, ensure that you take photos and video of the property to record its condition.
- Remember to leave feedback! Hosts rely on great feedback to inspire more bookings. They'll be much obliged for your feedback. Alternatively, if something wasn't as described, other vacationers will will be grateful for your review find their best rental home. Remember to be objective. If something fell short of expectations, consider whether the manager had any control over the issue, and if so, whether they responded expeditiously to remedy it.
- White Point Garden - 0.0 miles
- Miles Brewton House - 0.2 miles
- Nathaniel Russell House - 0.3 miles
- Rainbow Row - 0.4 miles
- Washington Square - 0.5 miles
- Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon - 0.5 miles
- St. John the Baptist Church - 0.5 miles
- Dock Street Theater - 0.6 miles