- As low as $1,208/Night
- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- Sleeps 9
- 1 bedroom
- Air conditioning
- Barbecue grill
- Bathtub or shower
- Bed sheets provided
- Birdwatching nearby
- Car recommended
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Coffee/tea maker
- Day bed
- Deadbolt lock
- Dining room
- Fire extinguisher
- Fishing nearby
- Fitness facilities nearby
- Hair dryer
- Hunting nearby
- In the city center
- Iron/ironing board
- Jet skiing nearby
- Living room
- Marina nearby
- Near a health or beauty spa
- Near a hospital
- Near a zoo
- Near laundromat
- Near outlet shopping
- Near the bay
- No pets allowed
- On the river
- Power boating nearby
- Sailing nearby
- Smoke detector
- Smoke-free property
- Theme parks nearby
- Towels provided
- TV with cable/satellite service
- Washing machine and dryer
- WiFi available
- Wildlife and game walks nearby
About this Property
- Sleeps 9
- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- Private vacation home
- Approximately 3505 square feet
Before requesting to book, please know we need to know your plans—your needs and your plans. We want the home to be right for you and we need to know you are a good fit. We have a 24 hour review for this reason. Until we have this information we will decline a booking.
This is a phenomenal and unique opportunity to appreciate being able to experience Charleston more as a resident than a tourist. We are in a peaceful neighborhood and don't allow any events out of respect for our neighbors. (We do have other properties that are suitable for wedding groups and modest events. The vrbo numbers will be listed at the end). You will savor the enchanting piazza overlooking the garden and the Ashley River and the handsome interior spaces.
This is an authentic Charleston 'single-home' (c 1795) which means a Charleston home that is a single room in depth, designed to catch the ocean breezes. The builders of this property were in the shipping business and a wharf was constructed into the river to accommodate the owner's ships. Property taxes at that time were based on a front footage assessment and the typical single home was placed so that the narrow side of the home would be on the street side. This property was an exception in that the long side of the home faces South Battery which made it even more accessible to the prevailing summer southwest breezes. The two piazzas on the south side provide a dual purpose: to provide a comfortable place to enjoy the afternoon breeze and sunsets and to provide shade for the home itself from the afternoon sun.
On the MAIN FLOORING is an charming dining room with striking hand made mahogany table, sideboard, and hunt-board. Just across the central hall is a less formal living room. It is furnished with comfortable upholstered couch and chairs and accented with fine antiques including a mahogany chest, fold top desk, French farm table with 6 chairs and a gorgeous highboy. The new kitchen with granite counters, delightful light filled windows on three sides, all new appliances and amenities is accessed through two nine foot entrances from the living room. All of these rooms open onto the main floor piazza and offer fabulous opportunities for family fun and entertaining. A gracious central stairway leads from the piazza to the sizable and pretty Charleston garden.
The SECOND floor homes the two main bedrooms, baths and closets. The two huge bedrooms with four poster mahogany King Bed in Master and Queen in Guest Room and adjoining bathrooms open onto the upper piazza overlooking the garden and Charleston Harbor.
The THIRD floor consists of two enormous dormer bedrooms with outstanding windows on the north and south sides. Between these rooms is a bath with a shower. All have windows providing a spectacular expansive roof top view of the landscape below.
The GARDEN is roomy and beautiful. The areas adjoining the home are terraced in old Charleston bricks and provide marvelous area for containers of flowering plants. The planting in the main garden is a balanced mixture of evergreens which provide shape, texture, and definition on a year round basis, and flowering shrubs and plants which provide a bouquet of color and scent as the seasons evolve. In the center of the front garden is a shallow reflecting pool with an Italian fountain. The fountain is automatically lighted at nighttime and bathes the whole area with the ambiance of warm light and gurgling sounds. It is completely private from the street and entirely enclosed and offers incredible opportunities for entertaining or for kids playing.
Very near prominent streets such as Church, Meeting, King and Legare Streets all are within very short walking distances to the property. White Point Gardens and the Harbor are within walking distance of the home. The home is in simple walking distance to the historic home museums, antique stores, art galleries, stores and famed eateries.
We also advise during the month of September particularly, and some into October that you purchase the trip protection insurance because that is the peak hurricane season in our area. The optional trip insurance offered through Vacation Rental By Owner would cover any weather related cancellation. We do not offer refunds or date changes due to weather outside the 60 day cancellation period. Please ask Jamie if you have any questions at all.
WEDDING GROUP/FAMILY REUNION/CORPORATE RETREAT OPTIONS:
Our other properties are at St Philip Square and offer many flexible options. The vrbo numbers are:
7841346. 7841344. 1662029. 1351757
834186. 567555. 1446527. 1531369
And for an out of town treat look at vrbo #340070
About the Area
This vacation home is located in Charleston Historic District, a neighborhood in Charleston, and is near theme parks and on a river. Charleston City Market and Calhoun Mansion are local landmarks, and travelers looking to shop may want to visit Rainbow Market Shopping Center and Shops at Charleston Place. Charleston Museum and South Carolina Aquarium are also worth visiting. Be sure to check out the area's animals with activities such as game walks and birdwatching.
Be prepared: check the latest COVID-19 travel requirements and measures in place for this destination before you travel.
Know Before you Go
A car is recommended for transportation to and from this property
- Pets not allowed
Our top Rental home tips and tricks:
How to get the best rental home value:
- June, July, and August are the most expensive months in the Charleston area area. To get the largest rental within your budget, we recommend reserving in the Fall or Spring. You'll benefit from lower rates, better selection, gorgeous weather and the absence of giant crowds at Charleston area restaurants, beaches, and activities. Many vacationers use this strategy to reserve larger homes, or to reserve an oceanfront rental that would otherwise be unaffordable during June, July, and August. Speaking of the off-season, don't overlook Winter holidays for a Charleston area vacation! Who wouldn't love a holiday vacation on the coast? Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are great times to gather with family and friends at your favorite beach.
- In the Charleston area area, The earlier your group can book a vacation home, the easier your search will be. The most desirable properties are booked early. Reserving your vacation rental up to 12 months before your vacation is recommended. Holiday gatherings are excellent times to plan and reserve your vacation home.
- Hosts and Property managers sometimes offer rate reductions for veterans and active duty military. Ask your host or property manager if rate reductions are available for your group.
- Booking websites often offer customers an option to buy trip insurance. Trip insurance, which normally costs anywhere between 1% - 5% of the booking price, offers visitors reimbursement of costs for missed days as a result of personal medical-related issues or weather disasters, as well as ensuing additional evacuation costs, such as an unexpected hotel overnight or additional gas expenses. Trip insurance can be a a welcome relief if the unforeseen happens. Ask your host for more information.
- Find a copy of your local Charleston area visitors guide upon checking in. If your rental property doesn't have a copy, you can find them at local shops and fuel stations. In addition to great articles, visitors guide magazines contain deals for nearby shops and restaurants.
Filter your rental search:
- To start, have your family agree to date ranges and a spending budget.
- Determine how many bedrooms and the bed configuration you need. Grand historic home, spacious, downtown, piazza and garden (Lic.#OP2018-00320) has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms.
- Precise descriptions of bedrooms and bed counts & types is almost always accessible on booking pages. If you don't see them listed, email the property owner before you reserve the rental. Remember that most properties list the maximum guest capacity, which often includes sofa beds and bunks. You will need to establish what configuration is suitable for your vacation.
- If there's a certain Charleston area destination you long to visit, keep an eye out for properties that are either nearby, or those that cater to your needs.
- Appropriate accessibility can make or ruin a vacation for guests with disabilities. Confirm all required amenities are included before booking.
- Do your family pets travel with you? Many vacation homes allow animals, but guidelines and restrictions apply. Allowable pet type, breed, and size are often limited. Make sure to ask before booking, and study your agreement! Extra fees or costs could be applied to your invoice.
Advice for a wonderful stay:
- We recommend storing the manager's contact information in your smartphone.
- To ensure that no damages are linked to your stay, note any problem areas when you arrive. text the rental manager immediately to relay any damages. If there is a dispute about legal responsibility later, having the recorded concerns and contact attempts will be helpful.
- Ask questions. You may need instructions for a garage door opener, stereo or kitchen appliance. Contact your host. They are there to help! A brief phone call prevents a lot of difficulties.
- Be a good neighbor! You wouldn't like loud vacationers disrupting your peaceful neighborhood. Apply the golden rule for best judgement. If they like you, locals might even recommend great beaches and places you would have never otherwise known about!
- Speaking of neighbors... Ask a local! Residents can usually point you in the right direction. Who better to ask where to find the fresh catch of the day, have a great night out, or the best spots for fine dining?
- Ensure you protect the rental owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the rental locked up when you are out, just like you would back home.
- Just before checking out, take a walk-through to make sure you didn't leave anything behind. Make sure to check bathrooms, dressers, and closets for hidden treasure. Clean out the refrigerator and take or dispose of leftovers.
- Inspect the rental a final time and look for any damage. We advise walking through with the host whenever you can. If the manager isn't available, ensure that you take photos of the rental to record its condition at check-out.
- Leave a review! Hosts rely on good ratings to propel new bookings. They'll be thankful for your feedback. Alternatively, if something went wrong, other vacationing families will will be grateful for your feedback find their best rental home. Please be objective. If something fell short of expectations, consider whether the owner could control the issue, and if so, whether they responded quickly to solve it.
- White Point Garden - 0.0 miles
- Miles Brewton House - 0.2 miles
- Nathaniel Russell House - 0.3 miles
- Rainbow Row - 0.4 miles
- Washington Square - 0.5 miles
- Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon - 0.5 miles
- St. John the Baptist Church - 0.5 miles
- Dock Street Theater - 0.6 miles
- City Market - 0.7 miles
- Gibbes Museum of Art - 0.6 miles
Ready to book Grand historic home, spacious, downtown, piazza and garden (Lic.#OP2018-00320)?Book Online Get Information Call: