The Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue, a famous icon just off of Market Street, has a fitting place among Charleston's long list of historical churches and buildings as the county's second oldest Synagogue, and the oldest Synagogue that remains in continuous use. The Grecian structure, one of the many hallmarks of Charleston's blossoming 19th century architectural era, is more than enough to grab a passer-by's attention, but the astounding details within, including an ornate domed ceiling and walls of tastefully appointed windows, will surely take anyone's breath away.
Charleston County and the city of Charleston, its county seat, are the most historic locations in the state. English settlers arrived in the colony of Carolina in 1670 and established a town at Albemarle Point on the west bank of the Ashley River. The settlement, named Charles Town in honor of King Charles II of England, was subsequently moved a few miles away to a peninsula between the Ashley and Cooper rivers. Charles Town (renamed Charleston in 1783) was the political, social, and economic center of South Carolina throughout the colonial and ante-bellum periods, and it served as the state capital until 1790.