- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Baby Gate
- Basic Soaps
- Beach Towels
- Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deadbolt Lock On Entryway
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Emergency Exit Route
- Fire Extinguisher
- First Aid Kit
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Lawn / Garden
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Outdoor Furniture
- Outdoor Lighting
- Pantry Items
- Paper Towels
- Pets Not Allowed
- Porch / Veranda
- Private Chef
- Smoke Detectors
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
- Wireless Internet
About this PropertyExtra generous first floor apartment, in an award winning historic building in the coveted Cannonborough neighborhood. We have just completely redone this cavernous apartment with brand new bathrooms and kitchen and furbished it with tasteful and appealing furnishings and artwork
ST PHILIP SQUARE: If you need to sleep 2 to 66 people, one block from King St. and .4 miles to Calhoun St in splendidly remodeled units, St Philip Square is your answer!
You need to look carefully to realize our units are noticeably closer to South of Broad, and our buildings are substantial historic buildings, with appeal and character not possible in new construction, in a community setting where groups can gather, in an area where it's possible to rent without the owner present, in units that sparkle with impressive remodel and appealing decor. We have a unique offering for wedding groups, family get-togethers, work retreats, friends traveling together, honeymooners, anniversary celebrants or families with children.
St Philip Square offers 8 units within a "square" that opens onto a shared parking area. Each apartment is a separate unit with unique characteristics. It is the ideal opportunity for groups of all sizes to organize a joint rental but each apartment is separate and is its own place. The Vacation Rental By Owner numbers are listed here:
1446527. 1531369. 1351757. 1662029. 834186. 7841346. 7841344. 567555
If you put these numbers into a Vacation Rental By Owner search without dates you will be able to view each listing.
DESCRIPTION OF THIS UNIT:
This apartment is entered through the very huge front veranda filled with wicker furnishings and hanging baskets. The light-filled front living room is sizable and gracious with a fireplace and includes a brand new West Elm couch sleeper. The bathroom connects the room to a ideal bedroom with king size Stella brass bed and another fireplace.
The middle section of the apartment is accessed either through the living room or the front bedroom. The brand new, delightful, completely supplied kitchen is found in this middle section of the apartment.
The second bedroom is also in the middle section. It has two full size beds and a superb stone bathroom with giant shower and double vanity with stone counter. This room has double closets, light filled windows and might be the most elegant room in the home. A couple can be cheerful here with the double vanity ensuite bathroom. Or the bridesmaids can bunk up here . Or you can put four cousins together in two double beds.
The back section of the apartment has a smaller bedroom with queen bed and glamourous bathroom with a tub and shower and a gorgeous closet. From either the kitchen or from this back bedroom you will reach the “porch bedroom” and the 4th stone bathroom with huge shower. This back room opens onto a back balcony with steps leading down into the glamourous modest outdoor area. This bedroom has a delightfully hand crafted Amish Murphy bed and includes an handsome bar with sink and refrigerator. This back section opens up a whole different opportunity. It can be the in-law hideaway. Or the guys hang out. Or it can even be rented separately as a studio or a two room suite with two charming bathrooms. This room is light filled, a bit cutoff from the front, a bit of an hideaway space, splendid and a good "hang out space".
This apartment is really a magical space. It is roomy but offers private spaces for a group to be together or to be apart. The back would be ideal for the grandparents in a wedding group or for a charming spot for the freshly weds after the wedding. Or this space could be used for a work meeting or a businessman’s workspace. The apartment offers a lot of flexibility.
AMENITIES AND DECOR
Our apartments have all received rave reviews for their luxuries and for being drop dead alluring.
We have carefully selected each item in the apartment for its beauty, function and quality. We wanted to offer a taste of Charleston--superb mantels and porches with a few of our favorite antiques. But we are also open to new, modern ideas and have introduced them with the advice of our professional designer. But always we have tired to keep these units personal, real, comfortable, interesting, modren and "cool". We are excited to be offering this space for brief term rental.
We are located in the brief term overlay which accepts such units. We are in the area closest to King St, one block east and to Calhoun St 3 blocks south. Upper King St has become the most dynamic “happening” area in the city with stores, eateries, bars and stores within a brief walk from this apartment.
The city has selected this area as the only one where visitors can rent for a weekend instead of a month without the owner being present. This is a tremendous advantage for this area because it gives the visitors privacy and a sense of living like a native. Within that district you will notice that St Philip Square is in the section closest to Marion Square and the South of Broad area. We are also only one block over from King St. Our great location might not be readily obvious.
Moreover, other units in the area either are new construction or are of lesser quality and historical value. Why stay in a new building and miss the glamour of what makes Charleston special? Our buildings have received the coveted Carolopolis Award in 1999 for amazing restoration of important Charleston historic units. You will want to be aware of the unique quality of St Philip Square and how we compare to other units in Cannonborough.
This building is set back from the street and faces a lovely courtyard. We have a enormous parking lot. We promise two spots for this apartment but have access to a lot across the street and can usually accommodate more cars for a modest fee. Many visitors find they leave the car in the lot and discover the city on foot or spare themselves parking woes downtown by using Uber or Lyft.
- Many management companies and vacation rental homes supply Charleston area area printed travel catalogs which include promotions, either offered individually by vendors, or via a partnership between the management company and the vendor itself. These guides may provide a great start to your vacation rental search.
- Are you willing to alter your travel dates? Off-peak rates are usually a fraction of maximum costs.
- Are you a military veteran? Plenty of rental companies provide discounted prices to vets and active-duty forces. Make sure to confirm with property management company to see if your vacationing group is eligible for a special offer.
- Is there a specific experience that you are most getting excited about during your stay? If there's a particular Charleston area atteaction that you just love, keep an eye out for rental properties that cater especially to your needs.
- Give thought to investing in trip insurance together with your rental contract. Trip insurance, which usually will cost you somewhere between 1% - 5% of the base stay cost, provides vacationers reimbursement of their vacation expenses for any nights missed due to personal medical-related emergencies or weather, in addition to ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, like an unforeseen hotel stay or extra gas. Trip insurance can be a bank account-saver if the unforseen occurs (heaven forbid!).
General Vacation Rental Tricks & Tips
Some people are surprised to discover just how many vacation rentals can be found in their area of interest. With such a big selection, renters are certain to locate a vacation home that fits their desires and price range.
Vacation rentals are often owner operated or managed by property management companies. Rental owners frequently choose management companies to facilitate advertising campaigns, house cleaning services and maintenance.
Seasoned Charleston area vacationers have discovered a number of tips and tricks over the years with regards to renting vacation rentals, however most novices will be delighted to realize that several "techniques" are in plain sight, if you understand where to look.
Where to find and reserve the best rental property:
Before you start to book "174 St Philip St, b1 1 block to King Great for groups/Historic/Parking/Gorgeous", examine our brief checklist of things to consider.
Search Early and Frequently
Charleston area vacation rentals are reserved many months (and up to a year) in advance. To guarantee the very best selection of properties, we recommend searching and reserving your Charleston area vacation home Six-12 months before your travel dates, whenever feasible. A lot of groups choose to begin their search over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve holiday gatherings.
Find your Area and Establish Dates
Consensus can often be tricky among family, but the moment this challenging part is complete everything will quickly slide in place.
Bedrooms and Bed Sizes Matter
How many family members are planning to share your trip? Be mindful that a lot of homes advertise maximum guest capacity, which typically includes sofa beds in the family room. You will need to determine what is acceptable for the family. Most rental home listings will outline each of the unit's specific bedrooms and beds.
Stick to a Budget
Many rental properties are presented with a cost range. Confirm the cost for your chosen stay. It may be at the top end of the range. Be sure to get cost-sharing commitments from company before booking a pricey vacation property. Most rental agreements call for a single individual to be liable for the full reservation.
Compose a list of "Wants" and "Necessities"
What amenities is your group looking for? Are you looking for a rental property with outdoor kitchen? Are you more interested in wildlife or amusements? Are items like beach chairs, barbecue grills, umbrellas, carts or coolers at your disposal and included with your rental property charge? Make a list of prioritized "necessities and wishes" from your party to help filter your search to the most appropriate home.
Accessibility and Special Circumstances
Grandma and Grandpa will thank you for not renting a stairs-only property on the 3rd floor. Make certain to remember and inquire about wheelchair access, pool lifts and specialized equipment requirements..
Go ahead and Take the Dog
Remember to include your best friend! While many vacation homes allow pets, guidelines and costs fluctuate per rental. Type of animal, size and breeds could be restricted. Examine your agreement carefully! Additional charges may apply when animals are included.
Searching the Internet
. Together with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Charleston area local vacation homes" for local property management companies. Local property management companies take pride in a first-class rental experience.
Negotiate the Price
When you have found the rentalhome of your dreams, double check to make sure your vacation dates are available.
Although not true for all properties, many rental owners and property managers will negotiate rates. If the price isn't negotiable, the number of nights may be. Negotiating rates is most effective through the off-peak season when many vacation rentals sit vacant.
Read the Total Agreement
Find out which of the following is included in your quoted rate:
- Long Distance Calls
- Hot Tub Heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Cleaning services and housekeeping
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance policies
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking Space
Get a total that incorporates taxes, pet and other extra fees.
Cancellation policies vary for each vacation rental. Many vacation property contracts include an option for trip insurance. Trip insurance, which frequently costs anywhere between 1% - 5% of the standard rental price, provides travellers with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent vacation property costs) for any days missed due to personal medical emergencies or storms, and additionally hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unexpected motel stay or extra gas.
As soon as you think you've found "the one", start the reservation process. You will probably have to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Keep Your Contact's Info
Remember to get the manager's contact telephone number and entry/exit procedures for your vacation property. We recommend saving the contact's details in your smart phone and wallet.
Congrats! All that is left is enjoying your visit!
During your Stay
- Photograph on your arrival. To ensure no damages are linked to your visit, make a record of any trouble spots of the rental. We also recommend promptly getting in touch with the rental home manager with a report of any damages, along with your request for any required fixes. This may prevent disagreements during checkout.
- Ask questions. Should there be any ambiguity about parking, policies of the property, house access, pool functions, etc... we advise you ask the rental manager promptly. A brief phone call helps prevent many complications.
- Please remember to respect your neighbors. . Respecting late-night quiet hours and parking regulations can make a vacation substantially more relaxing.
- Ask a local. Residents are a terrific source of tips. Who better to ask where to get the best nachos, have a great night out, or the best areas for night life?
- Enjoy your stay! Don't forget to protect the property owner (and your things!) by keeping the rental home locked up when you are away, just like you would at home.
At the end of your stay
- Double-check each space of the rental to make certain that you've gathered all possessions.
- Please make sure to walk through the rental home one last time and check for property damage. We suggest walking through with the rental manager whenever feasible (often this isn't possible).. If the property manager is not available, be sure to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you love your stay? Most vacation rental management companies and rental search sites permit renters to give reviews. If your vacation rental and/or property manager was top notch, they will appreciate your compliments. If anything was disagreeable and they did not fix it in a acceptable manner, or if the property was not as described, you'll want to note that in your critique.
Learn from your Stay
How did they feel about the rental? If everything was outstanding, next year's vacation planning will be quick. If the rental property was not quite right, and you will better understand how to perfect your search for the next vacation.
- William Aiken House - 0.2 miles
- Charleston Museum - 0.3 miles
- Joseph Manigault House - 0.4 miles
- Marion Square - 0.4 miles
- Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim - 0.8 miles
- Fort Sumter - 0.9 miles
- Johnson Hagood Stadium - 0.9 miles
- City Market - 0.9 miles